Places To Eat in Alnwick Countryside
Good restaurants & food pubs in the countryside around Alnwick in Northumberland
Rothbury (15 minutes drive from West Acre House) is "The capital of Coquetdale" - a very picturesque area of Alnwick District, serving the villages of Alwinton, Netherton, Harbottle, Thropton. Set in Northumberland's Hill Country, Rothbury is an ideal base for walking in the Simonside Hills and Cheviots.
There are several places to eat, in or near Rothbury's Town Centre.
"BOOK YOUR TABLE PRIOR TO ARRIVING IN ALNWICK TO AVOID DISAPOINTMENT"
Restaurants, Pubs, Cafés, Bistros
The Countryside around Alnwick, Northumberland
(Personal and guest favourites')
- Elm Tree House - situated in High Street, Rothbury, nice quiche, freshly made sandwiches
and lovely home made cakes. Open daytime only.
- Sun Kitchen - situated in High Street, Rothbury. A well established tea room with light lunches and "teas" Open day time only.
- The Congregational - situated at the top of Rothbury High Street, it is an old Congregational church hall, set back from the houses on the north side of the street. It is now a gallery and bistro. Service may be a little on the slow side but the food is good with the advantage of being able to browse the excellent artwork whilst you wait for your meal. You can't book a table for lunch, just turn up. Open 10.30am to
4.30pm Tuesday to Sundays & Bank Holidays. Simple Summer Suppers Thursday Friday & Saturday's 6.00pm to 8.00pm. Tel. 01669 621900 for further information and to book an evening table.
- Queens Head Hotel - situated in Town Foot, Rothbury. A friendly pub, on Sunday's they serve a good carvery for Sunday lunch. Although the meat portion is small it is still recommended..
Tel. 01669 620470. Website
The Hamlet of Weldon Bridge
20 minutes drive from Alnwick via the A1 - A697 and 10 minutes drive from Rothbury (5 miles) via the B6344.junction of the A697 and the B6344.
- The Anglers Arms - Weldon Bridge, a lovely old country Inn, with typical country pub interior, warm and friendly, serves lunch and dinner. Tel. 01665 570271
- The Village of Felton - south of Alnwick just off the A1
The Northumberland Arms
- situated in Felton Village just south of the river, it is no ordinary pub, it has ambition to rise above the run of the mill pub by offering its guests a lovely environment with excellent food and attention to customer service. We have referred this fine eatery to many of our recent guests because their feedback has all been positive. I am told that if booking a table 3 weeks notice would be advised for a weekend and a day or two for a midweek booking. You can of course take your chance and aim for a table in the bar where the same food can be served. To enquire or book Telephone 01670 787 370. Website
The village of Powburn
Powburn is situated 20 minutes west of Alnwick on the Morpeth to Wooler Road (A697).
- The Village Tea Room and Emporium can be found next to the petrol station. You will find some interesting and unusual things for sale. However the main attraction has to be the tea room, everything freshly made to order, home made cakes to die for with excellent tea and coffee.
The Village of Eglingham 15 minutes west of Alnwick on the B6346
- The Tankerville Arms - Eglingham. situated about 6 miles west of Alnwick via the B6346, in the hamlet of Eglingham. A charming Olde World Pub, dining room serving pub food with very friendly service. Popular amongst the country set. Serves meals most lunch times and evenings. To reserve a table Tel: 01665 578444. Website
See also our pages for:
Places to Eat in Alnwick
Places to Eat on the Northumberland Coast near Alnwick
within 5 to 10 minutes drive from Alnwick.
If you have any comments on the above restaurants, or on the content of this page, or any recommendations, please let us know. Equally if you have been disappointed please let us know. You can email any comments in confidence to email@example.com . Thank you.